Sign the Petition
Advancing Freedom's Future!!
On Our Campuses
IN A TIME when our elected representatives, government officials, university administrators, and faculty fail to defend core liberties, America's students must make our voice heard.
In a time when those who should champion freedom of speech instead direct its suppression, we must stand and be counted.
In a time when our own universities are routinely embarrassed by, and often cater to, those who turn to violence, intimidation, and disruption to prevent the expression of views with which they disagree, we must defend the ideals upon which our universities were founded and the inalienable rights protected by the Constitution.
In a time when our rich diversity of thought is forcibly replaced by anti-intellectual groupthink, we must speak out.
As advocates for the First Amendment rights of every American and for a true marketplace of ideas on our university campuses, we believe:
- THAT the free exchange of ideas is fundamental to a vibrant democratic republic.
- THAT the prevailing orthodoxy should be challenged continuously, so that its virtues may be refined and its flaws exposed.
- THAT a worthwhile education allows and encourages students to interact with a spectrum of ideas, rather than prescribing an approved course of thought.
- THAT principled educators embrace as their mission the task of teaching students how to think for themselves, rather than dictating what they must think.
- THAT, as true learners, we must cultivate friendships with those who hold different views, understanding such relationships further our intellectual and relational maturity and testify to our humanity.
- THAT today's students are tomorrow's judges, legislators, teachers, and voters, and the lessons we are learning about how to function as responsible citizens and how to respect the constitutional rights of those with whom we disagree will remain with us long after we leave our universities.
THEREFORE, we call on our universities to:
- ✔ Treat us like free-thinking adults, not children in need of supervision and of protection from exposure to the ideas of others.
- ✔ Eliminate the speech codes that prescribe what we can say, the speech zones that limit where we can say it, any policies that control who can speak for and lead our groups, and repeal all other speech restrictions that violate our rights and interfere with our ability to communicate openly and effectively with one another.
- ✔ End the mandatory student activity fees that add to our debt and compel us to fund others' activism that we would not voluntarily support.
- ✔ Respect and protect our constitutional freedoms, always remembering that these are inalienable rights, not the gift of the government, and that they reign supreme over any conflicting university policy, program, or handbook.
- ✔ Reject the easy path of succumbing to the political pressure, intimidation, and censorship exerted by the loudest and most aggressive, and defend the free exchange of ideas that should be the hallmark of our colleges.
We implore our faculty to live up to their calling as educators, not indoctrinators, and join with us in resisting any limitation on the freedoms of speech and association on our campuses.
We call on our fellow students of all political, religious, or other views to embrace the true marketplace of ideas by welcoming speakers and opinions that differ from their own, recognizing the opportunity to be challenged and to learn.
And we commit ourselves and our organizations to defending our fundamental freedoms on our campuses.